Windows XP re-installation

Air Time 19:52 17 Feb 04

I have been looking at a friends computer where the windows XP seems to have gone to the wall! None of the icons are finding their target files, including the control panel icons.

As the computer has hardly any user data or settings on it, it seems to me that it would be far easier to just re-format the hard drive and reinstall windows.

The only problem is that the computer was braught with a bundled package (Tiny) and looking the CD's that came with the system, there is no sign of the XP CD. To stop my friend turning her house upside down looking for the CD, can I use my own XP installation CD which is the same home edition, but use the friends product key which is on the sticker on the side of the computer.

Obviously I want everything to be legal and above board, but it seems to me that it should be OK to do so as there is already a program license in place for that computer.

Does anyone have any advice.

Many thanks

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 20:03 17 Feb 04

In a word no,the key on your friend pc will be for the version she had and i doubt it would work with yours.More than likly your friend has a restore cd not the full or upgrade xp cd so i doubt it would work.

Regards.

Gaz 25 20:07 17 Feb 04

I have done this several times, any disk should work with almost any key.

It would take microsoft ages, years, billions of years to make every disc have its own key.

Thus they dont bother.

Regards,
Gareth

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 20:10 17 Feb 04

Well my key only works with my xp disc i tried it with my mates and it wont load with my key,and vica versa and it wouldnt take billions of years most disc have copy protection built in when made not just the key,i doubt if microsoft didnt think this nessacery.

Regards.

Air Time 20:44 17 Feb 04

Hmmm

Thanks for your responses....

Few different opinions. I'd like to try it out anyway, but I daren't just in case it doesn't work!

It's simply using an XP disk with a different product key.

Any further opinions?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…