Windows XP - Re-activation on the Same PC

Itchy Fingers 10:39 11 May 03

I have purchased and installed a full copy of Windows XP. It has taken me a month to get the set up right (I have reloaded it at least three times) and have yet to activate it. One one occation I found that Go Back 3.0 had lost its history (I have since learned that this can happen when you defrag) so I decided to reinstall it. while uninstalling I had a power cut which obviously caused files to be corrupt (by the mid file removal process). This left the PC unable to boot into Windows. I could not resolve the issue (I obviously had no access to the internet) so another clean install was undertaken. Now I have got it right (I think), I have to ask what if I upgrade my motherboard, will the OS still work witout a reinstall (it didn't when I went from a Chaintech Intel to a Gigabyte AMD). How do I get MS to accept re-activation of the same software be it may with changes to the system components. I have heard that Nortons Ghost or Drive Image could make a complete copy of my drive that could be transfereed to a new system but I am surre MS have thought of that one. Just for the record in the past I have tried one of those car boot copies of XP - don't go there, the service pack 1 download cased a massive corruption of the files that resulted in a clean install and lots of work. I bought the legitimate copy to prevent reoccurance and so I can keep the system up to date.

powerless 10:45 11 May 03

It's been said (on here)that it's best to do a clean install of Windows when a motherboard has been changed. I guess you didn't want to hear that.

Windows XP will allow hardware changes (4 or 6 i think) before you have to activate again.

Even if you do it's painless, MS know people uprade hardware and will give a new activation code if needed. Just be honest and you cannot go wrong.

Itchy Fingers 12:19 11 May 03

Thanks for the reassurances

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…