Windows XP Re-Activation After Mobo Failure

Jester2K II 13:01 04 Aug 03

Client has failed mobo (power surge) and wants a new one. However also wants to take advantage of situation to upgrade to a faster processor and faster RAM (lots of).

When we reinstall his legal copy of Windows XP this will surely detect a new hardware setup and want to re-activate with MS.

He's worried about ringing Microsoft to re-activate, so he wants me to ring. However i've never re-activated XP before and need a few pointers. (I've activated a few copies but not RE-Activated)

Will this sort of upgrade be OK with MS (client wants to spend max of budget on hardware and not fork out £80 for OEM copy of Win XP - esp as he bought XP only 6 months ago) or will they say no?

Do you get a new CD Key for future reinstalls??

What info will i need when i call? He'll be there but i don't want to keep having to ask him info every 30 seconds...

Anything else??

stupidhead 13:10 04 Aug 03

I've re-activated several, due to failures, (mobo, hard drives) all without problems, just went back on the net, and activated it as if it was a new copy...

Hope that helps....

DieSse 13:11 04 Aug 03

You won't need to call, IF a reactivation is required (it might not be) - you can do it on-line. If you prefer to do it by phone you can, you will only need the XP key (which should be fixed onto the system.)

There is NO problem of any kind in doing this (I've done it three times on my system, and never been asked anyhing difficult).

Don't worry there will be no problem.

Jester2K II 14:03 04 Aug 03

... is it not true that if i change certain items i'll need to explain to MS why its a "different" PC?

This is regarding a LEGAL copy of Windows XP Home Upgraded from Win98SE.

I thought the point of XP Activation was to stop you upgrading too much and effectively transferring the OS to "new" PC.

Lozzy 14:14 04 Aug 03

Weather you activate on the phone or the net, you will have absolutely no issues with MS. They may ask why your re activating just tell them the truth.. You will no probs what so ever..

Jester2K II 14:29 04 Aug 03

Lozzy - excellent thats the sort of answer i was looking for.

stupidhead - cheers

DieSse - thanks. Wasn't questioning what you were saying just i was sure we'd come unstuck trying to reactivate the "new" PC build.

DieSse 14:56 04 Aug 03

"I thought the point of XP Activation was to stop you upgrading too much and effectively transferring the OS to "new" PC."

No - that's not the point of activation - tht point of activation is to cut down on piracy - installing the same version in many computers with no questions asked.

Jester2K II 15:13 04 Aug 03

Sorry. I did know that the MAIN point was to stop installing the same copy on multiple PCS.

However I also thought it was to stop you upgrading too much and effectively transferring the OS to a new PC. I was once warned by a shop that even though i'd bought a legal copy of Win98SE when i built my next PC i would need to buy another copy (because its a different PC even though SOME components would be the same) I was sure this still applied to XP.

Quote from click here

If you overhaul your computer by replacing a substantial number of hardware components, it may appear to be a different PC. You may have to reactivate Windows XP. If this should occur, you can call the telephone number displayed on the activation screen to reactivate the software.

I was just unsure as to how MS would take upgrading these sorts of components as they would almost certainly result in a quick chat to an MS employee to re-activate. Would it be allowed or would MS be asking me to buy a new license for my clients effectively new pc??

DieSse 15:34 04 Aug 03

In my xperience, with a number of systems, and muliple re-activations, there's never been any awkward questions - In fact phone activation in Spain is automated - you don't actually get to speak to anybody - just an auto voice system!

Q-Bie 15:34 04 Aug 03

When you install the new components, the online activation will load up and tell you you need to reactivate.

If that fails (ie: reactivated too many times) then it will give you a phone number to call. All you do is type in your code the phone keypad and the computerised women will read back a code to you. Occasionally you will get through to a human operator but all you need to do is tell them you've upgraded the mobo, cpu and you'll be fine.

trinity 16:28 04 Aug 03

The only original parts in this pc are the 40 GB HD and the sound card. I have activated/reactivated Win XP over the last 2 years with no difficulties, over the net and no queries etc. There is a time limit if I remember right, of 120 days between major changes, over this time you should have no problems reactivating.

XP1600 -> XP2100
40GB -> 40GB/80GB
512MB DDR -> 1GB
Change of CDRW
GF2 GTS Pro -> GF4 Ti4200
Gigabyte mobo to A7V8X

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…