Windows Xp re-activation

Simsy 21:28 16 Feb 08

Folks,

Due to a major PC malfunction I'm about to do, (another) fresh install of WIndows XP.

However, I'm also expecting to receive, in the next week or so, a different, faster CPU and more memory.

They will fit onto the existing mobo and there will be no other changes.

Am I right in thinking that if I do my fresh install and activate it, replacing the CPU wont require reactivation?

Thanks in anticipation,

Regards,

Simsy

Technotiger 21:35 16 Feb 08

Hi, a bit border-line I think, perhaps you had better contact Microsoft at Reading in Berkshire, I believe you will find them very helpful ......

Microsoft Campus
Reading, RG6 1WG
0870 601 0100

Simsy 21:42 16 Feb 08

No help available on that number at the moment.

Anyone else know, for sure?

Thanks,

Regards,

Simsy

PC Mechanic 21:55 16 Feb 08

I believe that if you change the CPU on your mobo, then as far as Microsoft are concerned you have a new PC, and as such you will require a new version of your chosen OS. You'll probably find that if you install your current OS and then try to activate it you won't be able to.

MCE2K5 21:59 16 Feb 08

Read this, click here

Scroll down to 'How Product Activation Works' then 'What Happens If I Upgrade My Hardware?'.

MCE2K5 22:02 16 Feb 08

Also, Windows XP Activation Explained click here

Simsy 22:08 16 Feb 08

Looks like I'll be OK...

For the benefit of others, below is from the link you provided. Many thanks.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
What Happens If I Upgrade My Hardware?

When Windows Product Activation detects one, two, or three hardware changes, it accepts the changes and reactivates your system, just as if there had been no changes. So you can add more memory or a bigger hard drive to your computer, or replace the video card and go on with your life without any interference from Microsoft. But if you try to change too many components at the same time, or if you try to install an existing copy of Windows on a new computer after the old one was destroyed or stolen, the online activation system will reject your request. In most computers, it takes four or more changes before Windows refuses to activate. However, the Windows activation system will automatically accept major changes (four or more of the items that trigger reactivation) through the Internet up to four times a year.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Regards,

Simsy

laurie53 09:35 17 Feb 08

I've had to reactivate several times, and for the last few have been directed to the Helpline.

It takes only marginally longer than doing it on-line (unless you take down the re-activation code wrong!).

Simsy 07:15 19 Feb 08

and I did a fresh install with the new CPU.
Activated online no problem.
Thanks for your interest.

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac