MOMBASA 04:41 13 Feb 04

How can I shut down Windows XP quickly using the power switch?

LeadingMNMs 07:05 13 Feb 04

Do you want to shutdown (i.e go through all the processes) or just turn off the power ? Pressing the button once is usually configured to start the shutdown process, whereas holding it for usually about 8 seconds will turn the computer straight off. What do you want to do ?

temp003 07:31 13 Feb 04

Do you mean a shortcut which you can double-click (or in the Quick Launch bar, a single click) to shut down the computer?

XP has a shutdown.exe file which you can use, it's in C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe

Right click desktop, New, Shortcut. Browse to the above file (or type the path). Add a space and type -s so that the complete application path is:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -s

and then follow the prompts.

You can create another shortcut for restart, just use -r instead of -s. To log off the current user, use -l instead.

MOMBASA 07:35 13 Feb 04

How can I confirm that it is configured to go through the processes of shut down with one touch?

The Spires 08:39 13 Feb 04

If you go to Control Panel/Power Otions/Advanced - Then check that 'When I Press The Power Button' is set to 'Shut Down'.

TommyRed 09:54 13 Feb 04

I use a program called 'Quick ShutDown' which sits in your system tray and you just double click it to shut down. It shuts everything down correctly and it's free from click here HTH TR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…