Windows XP Professional OEM Licence Activation

mvcuk1 11:17 04 Jan 07

I work for a school as an ICT Technician and the school purchases PCs with Windows XP Professional oem licence. I have had to reimage the some of the PCs due to windows xp crashing/windows xp not working. When I reimaged a PC and tried to activate it, a message appeared saying something like, the product key has been used too many times and to use another product key. What I would like to know how many times can you activate a PC with a windows xp professional oem licence product key? Also would the school be better off with a volume licence key?

johndrew 12:37 04 Jan 07

I use XP Pro OEM (came with my PC) and was advised that re-activation is normally limited to three times in 120 days. Whether MS have another limit over a longer period I don`t know.

A `normal` OEM license (to the best of my knowledge) is valid for one PC, so use of it on multiple units would be classed as piracy and illegal. Perhaps you should speak to Microsoft explain the situation and get a key that covers all your units.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple