windows xp profesional

second best 22:58 22 Mar 03

hello, i have recently installed xp prof and now find my comp restarting with no warning usually while on the internet, although, i only ever really use it on the internet, so this is merely a coincidence. are there any known issues i can check to see what is causing the instability?

powerless 23:13 22 Mar 03

Apply Service Pack 1 - click here

Join the club - click here

Then go to Start > Control Panel > System > Advanced > "Startup and recovery" - Settings > Take the tick out of "Automatically Restart". Clcik ok next time this happens you'll get a blue screen note down exaclty what you see and post back back with the message.

Also try > Start > Control Panel > Admin Tools > Event viewer look at application and system logs for an error click the log and within the log will be a description of the problem and a possible fix.

mol01 23:29 22 Mar 03

This happenned to me when I bought a new PC last month. Check your modem driver - is it the latest version. Mine is a connexant modem, getting the latest driver solved the problem. Annoyingly in my case, unticking "automatically restart" had no effect at all, but I learnt what was causing it as sometimes Windows displayed the "contact microsoft" box on restart, and their website stated info about the driver.

second best 23:43 22 Mar 03

thnx guys, i have the same modem mol01, and i already have the service pack. i guess it's a common prob, so i'll just have to put up with it, or install 2000 instead.

mol01 23:51 22 Mar 03

2nd best, I upgraded to driver version 6.1.6. and now have no probs, I am not sure this is included in SP1. You may want to double check.

Djohn 01:05 23 Mar 03

I agree it's a common problem with quite a few people, but the vast majority of XP users do not have this problem, and it's not something you should *have* to put up with.

One of the forum users, (Old PC man) is working on this at the moment, so it may help if you contact him with your details, I believe he is making a data-base to try and find a common factor. J.

second best 12:01 23 Mar 03

ok, thnx djohn, powerless has directed me to that thread earlier. i'll check it out. thnx to you all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…