Windows XP Prof. Unwanted boot-up options screen.

xania 17:27 22 Feb 06

click here for the origins of this.

I have looked at Boot.ini both in msconfig and in windows/pss (which is the only place I can see it even with 'Show all hidden files and folders' selected and 'Hide protected operating system files' deselected in Folder Options). As expected, the version in msconfig, which, of course, I cannot edit shows

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(12)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional(#1)" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

where, clearely, the last lkine is the one to get rid of.

However, the version in windows/pss shows only;

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

which is the version I had before I copied the partition across.

So the question is - how do I get rid of that unwanted line so as to avoid the boot option screen coming up.

mgmcc 17:49 22 Feb 06

In MSCONFIG there is a button to "Check All Boot Paths" and it will give you the option to delete any it finds to be invalid.

mattyc_92 18:22 22 Feb 06

Can't you just open the file "c:\boot.ini" in notepad?

xania 20:00 22 Feb 06

Thanks for your responses.

mgmcc - sorry, but that button only checks for errors in the lines - it won't delete lines just if you son't want them.

mattyc_92 - spot on. I was nearly there, but I should have deselected'Hide protected operating system files' deselected in Folder Options specifically for the C: drive and not as I thought I'd done it. Also, you have to switch off Read Onlt before it will allow you to make the cahnges, and best to switch it back on again afterwards.

mgmcc 22:25 22 Feb 06

<<< sorry, but that button only checks for errors in the lines - it won't delete lines just if you son't want them >>>

That button checks to see if the lines point to a valid operating system that can be booted. If it doesn't you will have the option to delete the entry.

If you found this not to be the case, then something has become corrupted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…