Windows XP Product Key

soldier boy 14:36 10 Feb 09

After problems with my Grandson's Laptop we were advised to completely wipe it and re-install Widows XP from Scratch. I had two XP Discs which had come with desktops I had purchased some considerable time ago.(The iscs are 2002 verions) I tried using these disks to reinstall on the Laptop. I was asked to provide a product key. I had also retained a Windows XP Home edition welcome pack which had the Product Key on the back cover. However when I try to use this Key with either of the discs I get an invalid error message. Is there a way around this problem?

crosstrainer 14:37 10 Feb 09

You should be using the product key that came with the laptop. This is usually found on a sticker on the base of the machine itself.

birdface 14:40 10 Feb 09

If you are installing XP Home edition it should be no problem.Anything else you will.

birdface 14:43 10 Feb 09

Sorry crosstrainer is correct.Follow his advice.

birdface 14:45 10 Feb 09

Your grandson would need to have been using XP Home for his Keycode to work using your disc..

crosstrainer 14:49 10 Feb 09

As buteman says's, the version you install MUST be the same as that which corresponds to the key on the laptop sticker.

soldier boy 10:02 11 Feb 09

Thank you for your help crosstrainer, however the Product Code on the base of the laptop still gives the error message invalid code. Windows XP came pre-loaded on the laptop with no discs. I am using a disc which came with one of my older PCs. Is there any way I can resolve this?

birdface 12:27 11 Feb 09

Whatever version of Windows your grandson has.it will tell you beside the product key.This is the only one that he can reinstall.If he is using XP home Edition he has to use that and no other disc,So if using Vista he needs a vista disc.If you have not got the proper disc.borrow one as long as you enter your grandsons keycode on it it should be Ok.

lotvic 12:45 11 Feb 09

You prob need an OEM XP disc.
An OEM product key will not work on a Retail XP
It also needs to be the same version i.e. OEM XP Home SP1 if that is what the laptop key is for.

What make and model is the laptop?

You could try the install with (any of) the available keys you have and then when installed change the key to the proper laptop one for activation. Microsoft give instructions for changing the key to a legit key as per (techrepublic.com) click here

crosstrainer 14:35 11 Feb 09

You have deleted the recovery partition on the laptops hdd? If so, then an oem disc is the only way to recover your operating system

soldier boy 12:07 13 Feb 09

Thank you for all your advice. Very helpful indeed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…