Windows XP problems login in

keeron 10:41 01 Apr 09

Hi,

I have by mistake deleted a dll file on my pc which now stops me from logging on. It starts to log on but then boots me back to the same place over and over again.

I was going to use my xp disk to repair the current installation but unfortunatley I do not know what the admin password has been set to!!! Problems.

My next move was to remove the disk from this current pc, set it to slave mode and connect to another pc so i can copy this file directly back on?

Can somebody confirm if this is possible or any other quick way of getting around it.

Thanks

birdface 10:50 01 Apr 09

Does it do the same in safe mode.[keep tapping F8 as the computer starts.]

keeron 10:56 01 Apr 09

Not tried it.

So if I start the pc and then press F8 and boot it up in safe mode, and try it from there?

birdface 11:10 01 Apr 09

Yes keep tapping F8 as computer starts and it should stop at safe mode.

keeron 19:13 06 Apr 09

booted pc up in safe mode but only come sup with admin and other username - clicking on my usual logging gives the same sympton, but admin asks me for a password which I don't know.

Any other ideas?

rdave13 19:18 06 Apr 09

Try leaving the password blank for the admin account. If you get in you can reset the other user password.

birdface 19:21 06 Apr 09

Try not putting an administrator password in and just press Ok or apply and see what happens.
It happened to me before and I managed to get in somehow.
Once I got in I could change the passwords but this is what I was working on at the time.
click here

lotvic 19:22 06 Apr 09

Unless you have set a password there probably isn't one.

Try this:

Select Administrator, leave password blank.

read this other thread click here

keeron 21:14 06 Apr 09

thanks for the replies - but already tried that - incorrect password.

keeron 21:18 06 Apr 09

tried a reinstall (not full blown) but now it wot boot up - stuck on bootup with please wait, and just sticks there.

Think i'm going to try a complete reinstall but will try and pull whatever files I can off the disk before that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac