windows xp problems

delantero 20:41 04 Feb 07

last couple of days noted some strange behaviour with pc when it is first turned on. Sometimes it will only write in capital letters. When I select a file in my documents it automatically selects all the files in the folder. When I try to restart windows it does nothing though I can turn it off and turn it on again. This doesn't happen all the time, and when it does turning the pc off and on usually solves the problem. I don't mind reinstalling windows but thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions first. I'm using windows xp pro , service pack 2. cheers

terryf 20:46 04 Feb 07

Have you tried going to start and typing sfc /scannow (leave the gap after sfc), it will ask you to put your win cd in drive and wait, it checks files are ok but does not tell you if not ok, takes a while then disappears. This is called System File Check. For more info click on desktop and press F1 key and type sfc in search box

I am Spartacus 21:07 04 Feb 07

It could be the 'Shift' key sticking on the keyboard.

delantero 21:10 04 Feb 07

terryf- will try now.

spartacus, shift key is fine I think.

Thanks for replying

Stuartli 21:33 04 Feb 07

There are two Shift keys - one may still be sticking.

The symptoms do initially suggest a sticking Shift key.

PalaeoBill 22:32 04 Feb 07

Turn the keyboard upside down and give it a good shake. I have seen this before and it was a paper clip responsible.

woodchip 22:35 04 Feb 07

Or try another keyboard

delantero 23:45 04 Feb 07

ran sfc /scannow and the problem hasn't appeared again having restarted pc several times. As I said in my original post the problem doesn't appear every time so I'll see how it goes the next couple of days.
Both shift keys look fine but I have given the keyboard a good shake just in case!
Thanks for the advice and I'll post back when I can tell if the problem persists or not.

delantero 09:05 10 Feb 07

everything fine now. Thanks to those who offered help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple