Windows XP - Problems

kingofthetable 17:43 11 Sep 05

Iam having problems with windows xp, and i want to reinstall. However i have lost the boot disk i got with my pc. Therefore will i be able to purchase another windows xp home edition and install it over my original copy of Xp?

lotvic 17:50 11 Sep 05

need more details.

What make pc?

What came with pc? boot floppy, CD recovery disc ?

Is the OS on a hidden partition on your hard drive?

please give as much detail as you can

kingofthetable 17:59 11 Sep 05

The pc is from Time (as you must be aware they went bust a few weeks ago)

It was the boot disk that came with the pc.

I have no idea if the OS is in a hidden partition on my hard drive.

User-312386 18:19 11 Sep 05

if you are having problems with your pc

go to start>run and type sfc /scannow (note the space between sfc and /)

kingofthetable 18:30 11 Sep 05

Ive doen ( start>run and typed sfc /scannow ) but i got a message stating "Files that are required for windows to run properly must be copied to DLL cache. Install your windows XP home edition CD-Rom Now" I havent got the original Xp cd that came with my pc.

rawprawn 18:31 11 Sep 05

If there is a problem, would he not need the XP Disc using a system file scan?

rawprawn 18:32 11 Sep 05

kingofthetable has just answered my question.

rawprawn 18:34 11 Sep 05

The answer to your original question is yes, but you will need to format which is really part of the set up.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:41 11 Sep 05

Tiny place an exact copy of the drive in a hidden partition which will be lost when you format you require the restore disc to activate this partition and charge an extra £60 for the disc. No longer available of course

First of all you need your product key and drivers

download Everest Home Edition click here to find product key if not on a sticker on your machine.

click here driver guide toolkit will find all your divers and back them up to a folder, copy this folder to CD, floppy, external drive, or memory card.

If you can "borrow" an XP CD then format and reinstall using your product number as you already own the licence for this machine.

User-312386 07:40 13 Sep 05

you could also do this

Search for the folder I386 (select search hidden files)and make a note of where it is. When doing below, instead of putting C:\ as the directory put the location is

Now click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…