Windows XP problem Windows Configuration Utility

pj123 14:40 26 Mar 04

Windows XP Home Edition

System Configuration Utility

You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts.

The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts.

Choose the Normal Startup mode on the General tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using the System Configuration Utility.

Don’t show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start. (ticking the box next to this doesn’t make any difference, it still comes up next time the PC is restarted.)

She says she hasn’t changed anything (at least not deliberately, and doesn’t know what SCU is anyway). Likewise, I am not into Win XP (yet) so I don’t know what SCU is either.

Can anyone give me the way out of this please?

pj123 15:16 26 Mar 04

Thanks crx1600, but I did try that but it made no difference (unless I did it wrong) I will ring her and get her to do it again. Let you know.

temp003 03:10 27 Mar 04

This sometimes happens after you make changes via msconfig and does not restart immediately when prompted - like changes to the boot.ini file or selective startup. It's one of the reasons I make the necessary changes using other programs or manually if possible.

If your friend hasn't done anything in msconfig, that's a bit mysterious, but just try the suggestion in the message again, click OK, restart (whether prompted or not), and see if the message disappears.

pj123 12:30 27 Mar 04

Yes, done it again and restarted. Now seems to be back to normal. Didn't notice anything untoward in msconfig. Thanks everyone. Will tick as resolved now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…