Windows XP problem

meater 20:33 21 Sep 05

Hi There,
I bought a secondhand PC which has got a pirate version of "Windows XP" on it. If I uninstall it to reinstall a good version of "Windows XP", will I lose all my folders and applications, will they still be OK? I know that if you have Windows 98, you can uninstall it and then install "Windows XP". I would appreciate any help you can give me with this problem.

BFN

Meater

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:45 21 Sep 05

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

josie mayhem 20:49 21 Sep 05

when you up-grade from win98 to xp, you don't really uninstall the whole of win98, xp alters the nesscerary parts, thats why eveything remains intack.

If your computer xp version is home, and your legal copy is also xp home, then the computer won't like this, the same if you are installing a different xp pro over another xp pro. But if you are installing xp pro over a xp home then this should be seen as a up-grade similar as a up-grading from win98 to xp (any version)

But I would suggest that you backup all your important data and documents, and then if you have any problems then all you have to do is load your applications, a pain I know but it's better tha losing everything

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:53 21 Sep 05

Change the number.
click here

1. Run regedit and go to:
HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents
on the right double click on "OOBEtimer" and change at least one digit of this value to deactivate windows.

2. Choose run from start menu and type in this command:
%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a
to get the activation screen and go to the second option which is activate by phone.

3. In the new screen choose the option to change product key, and type in the new product key (Corporate one only).

4. Close that window, reboot your system and enter the command in step 2 for the second time to verify your activation you should see "windows is already activated".

To determine the Windows product ID on your computer:

On the task bar, click the Start button.

Right-click My Computer.

On the context menu, click Properties.

On the General tab, examine the number that is listed under Registered to:

System administrators may find it useful to check the product ID through the Registry Editor.

The registry path is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\ CurrentVersion\ProductId

Licensed customers are not affected by this anti-piracy change.

update instalation will fail on computers with the following product IDs:

XXXXX-640-0000356-23XXX

XXXXX-640-2001765-23XXX

meater 10:39 22 Sep 05

Thanks for your help but I still have not got the information a need. It is Windows XP Pro. that is the pirate copy, and I want to buy the Windows XP Home to put in. If I uninstall it to reinstall a good version of "Windows XP Home", will I lose all my folders and applications, will they still be OK? Can you tell me what the best and easiest way to solve this problem?

meater

meater 10:47 22 Sep 05

Thanks for your help but I still have not got the information a need. It is Windows XP Pro. that is the pirate copy, and I want to buy the Windows XP Home to put in. If I uninstall it to reinstall a good version of "Windows XP Home", will I lose all my folders and applications, will they still be OK? Can you tell me what the best and easiest way to solve this problem?
BFN

meater

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:57 23 Sep 05

BAck up all files and folders you requie to anoth patiton or hard drive or CD.

Use driver guide Toolkit click here toolkit.com to find your drivers it will copy them to a folder copy these drivers to your back up.

Boot with the New XP home CD and format the C:drive to wipe the pirate copy and install your new copy of windows home.

As it finds new hardware you can then point XP to your drivers folder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…