windows xp problem

susan-green 16:06 16 Apr 05

I have a packard bell p.c with windows xp i have been trying to enable my firewall and remove programs from add remove programs and its saying i need to have a system administrator password and i did not set one up. Im new to windows xp so any advice would be good.Thanks susan

VoG II 16:13 16 Apr 05

Try leaving the password box blank.

susan-green 16:15 16 Apr 05

There is no password box coming up for me to put a password in.

VoG II 16:23 16 Apr 05

I don't understand.

What is the exact message that you receive please?

susan-green 16:26 16 Apr 05

for instance when i was trying to remove a program it said i needed administrator priviledges and would not remove the program.

Pooke100 16:34 16 Apr 05

Are you logged in as an administrator from the xp welcome screen? What kind of user account do you have?

VoG II 16:36 16 Apr 05

Start in Safe Mode click here and log in as Administrator.

susan-green 16:41 16 Apr 05

Yes i am logged on as the administrator i have accounts for both my children also.I really dont understand all this because i am the administrator.Its all running very slow as well i tried to go into msconfig and stop the computer from running everything in the background but it wont let me do that either.I dont know what to do next as i am new to all this i have only had the p.c for a couple of weeks and i was used to windows 98 before that.

lotvic 18:43 16 Apr 05

can you explain how you are SURE that you are logged on as adminstrator? I feel more details are needed. In User Accounts does it list you as Administrator?

Start > control panel > User Accounts

Pooke100 19:29 16 Apr 05

Use VoG's advice for starting in safemode, then log in as administrator and try and remove them. Also run ad-aware and your anti-virus. Make sure they're up-to-date.

Also what are the programs? someone might have experiences like yours and help you remove them?

Failing that: You say that you've only had it a few weeks. Reinstalling XP or restoring might be an idea?? Consider it as a last resort though.

Was the system a new one? Do you have a windows XP disk or a System Restore disk?

HTH

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…