Windows XP Pro Won't Load Onto New System

mulva42 18:14 22 Sep 03

I have just completed building my first Pc and switched it on but i am having problems loading on a Operating system(Xp Pro)or(2000 Pro). i can access the Config Screen and boot from Cd rom drive ,but to no evaili even tried booting from Dos as you would with win98 but it says cant use this program on dos.Anyone got any ideas?????

smegs 18:17 22 Sep 03

Have U Fdisked & formatted the Hard drive?

mulva42 16:06 23 Sep 03

Yes i have two or three times now,tried changing it to Fat/Fat32 and even NTFS but with no luck.
I did this using a windows boot disk and then a partition magic 7,Once partition magic has finished and says the system must reboot to recognise your drives,It will reboot but not (D drive-cdrom).

smegs 16:27 23 Sep 03

Do U have a diver for CD-Drives? Download them from click here . I know U shouldn't need them. On this site, there is a download for a Xp boot up disk. Give it a try. If the Cd drivers don't work drop me an email and I will send U an other copy of Cd drivers. These work.

Djohn 16:45 23 Sep 03

With your XP CD you should be able to load O/S straight from the CD itself. Have you gone into BIOS, and set your CD drive as "First bootable disk", then insert the CD and reboot your PC?

If you do this, it should format your drive for you and then install XP. Regards. j.

Rayuk 17:28 23 Sep 03

Use your boot disk and fdisk and delete all partitions including non dos partitions,then reboot to cdrom instal and format and partition using the WinXPPro installation disk.

No need to use Partition Magic

Or is there something already on the disk,you dont mentionm that you have formatted the disk

smegs 17:29 23 Sep 03

As I understand what Mulva42 is saying, his cd drives R not workingso he can not install anything. Please tell me if I've mis-understood.

Djohn 17:44 23 Sep 03

Yes, I see what you mean. Bit confused my self as in the first post from Mulva42, he says.

"i can access the Config Screen and boot from Cd rom drive"

But in second post, "It will reboot but not (D drive-cdrom).".

If you have two drives, are you using the correct one, as only one of the drives will be selected as "First boot" Regards. j.

mulva42 18:51 23 Sep 03

Sorry about that guy's what i meant on the first sentence was that i have changed the cd-rom to boot first instead of the floppy.but the error is invalid systen disk,which right away i thought might be the cd so i tried 2000 pro but still nothing,i know the disk is okay if you know what i mean!!! and the cd-rom drive is off a working pc and with win98 boot disk i can look at the contents of the xp cd.i have just down loaded the 6 disker from MS, so i will see if that helps tonight.Hope i made that sound a bit clearer...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…