Windows XP Pro Upgrade

Gorillaz 07:59 29 Dec 04

I am going to purchase XP Pro and to save money I would like to buy the the upgrade version. I have a system restore disk that all makers seem to supply. If I do buy the upgrade will it recognise the Windows Xp installed on the CD when I come to install? The only reason for asking is that I will format the hard drive prior to installation,

AndySD 09:09 29 Dec 04

If the restore disk has the i386 folder on it, then it should recognise it. If not then you would need to put the pro disk in whilst running XP Home and choose upgrade then Advanced and tick the boxes, on reboot it will allow you to format before instaling Pro.

seedie 09:09 29 Dec 04

If you have XP Home installed now then I wouldn't bother with the pro edition, unless you're running a network.

CD

Gorillaz 09:56 29 Dec 04

Thanks for the responses. The reasons for wanting to upgrade to XP pro is because I want to install a wireless network. I have been told that XP pro is far easier to set up and maintain the network.
I will try the option suggested by AndySD, I can always use the restore CD if things go belly up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…