Windows XP Pro SP2 and Event ID 1091

Gaz W 01:50 02 Mar 05

My PC keeps restarting itself at what appear to be random times. When I look in Event Viewer, Event ID 1091 is logged every time. However, this might just be something that was happening anyway when it starts up again and could be totally unrelated.

The problem is, I can't seem to find a resolution to Event ID 1091 that applies to me. It seems that it's a problem on a Windows Server 2003 domain, or something to do with Microsoft Exchange. My PC is, however, on a Windows 2000 domain.

Just before it restarted the last time, two applications closed, one DigiTV.exe (my TV card software) and the other was mmc.exe - I was running Event Viewer at the time!

Both were Event ID 1000:

Faulting application digitv.exe, version, faulting module user32.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x000089b9.

Faulting application mmc.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, faulting module unknown, version, fault address 0xffffffff.

Could it be a hardware problem, or is it more likely to be software related?

Strangely, it's not happened for a while now and I have the side off my PC. Before that, it had been happening frequently all evening. This could be coincidence though as I have spent a week trying to narrow the problems down!

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me - really haven't got the time to be reformatting or messing about with the machine as I need it urgently!

Thanks in advance,

Gaz W 02:25 02 Mar 05

Think it's just that it's been overheating! In this freezing weather! What I don't understand is why! It was fine all summer when I installed two extra (expensive) fans, which were well placed in the case. No fans have stopped working or anything and I've added no hardware.

Anyway I'll leave it all night with the side off and see if it's still restarted itself in the morning... off to bed now.

AndySD 06:35 02 Mar 05

Dust build up possably. Its surprising how much can build up in unseen places like inside the processor heatsink. Try cleaning it with a bottle of compressed air.

Gaz W 14:38 02 Mar 05

I did notice quite a bit of dust in there but haven't had much of a chance to have a proper look. I'll tick this as resolved for now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…