Windows XP PRO (SP1) Won't boot at all - help....

Mark-323050 20:59 29 May 04

Hello,
I've been having some problems with my grandsons computer, crashing etc. Anyway it wouldn't let me install any new software without crashing. So I hooked his computer up to my broadband and did a major update of everything "critical" and .NET services update (needed by a piece of software I wanted to install).
After an error about one of the critical updates not be "signed" everything seemed to go smoothly and all installed well.
On re-booting it will not start windows at all. I've done F8 boots
safe, safe command prompt, debugging everything I can think of to get it booted - alas to no avail.

Can anyone help?

I'm running XP SP1 - but I think my grandsons version was an upgrade and installed over windows 98. I've got the licence key for his install could I re-format and get his version re-activated?

Thank you for any help - please

VoG II 21:09 29 May 04

Have you tried F8 then Last known good configuration?

Mark-323050 21:32 29 May 04

yes. I've tried them all. The boot gets as far as just about to bring up the welcome screen and then re-boots and would just loop if Ididn't stop it doing so.

cheers

Mark-323050 21:32 29 May 04

yes. I've tried them all. The boot gets as far as just about to bring up the welcome screen and then re-boots and would just loop if Ididn't stop it doing so.

cheers

VoG II 21:35 29 May 04

Try click here

If that's not it then do a repair. Boot from the Windows XP CD.

Let the Setup go through the first part of the Installation procedure.

When you come to the screen in which it says "Welcome to Setup." press Enter to Setup Windows XP.

Press F8 to agree to the End User License.

Let the Setup search your system for previous versions of Windows.

When the Setup is finished searching your system, select your Windows XP Installation and press the R key on your keyboard to start the Repair Procedure.

Setup will delete all major system files and then replace them with new copies.

You will have to download all of the updates from Microsoft Windows Update again because it replaces the files.

You should not need to re-activate.

Fruit Bat 21:41 29 May 04

you have a corrupt file causing the reboot, procedure to overcome too lenghty to post here, I will e-mail a txt file of the procedure you might want to try.

Djohn 21:44 29 May 04

VoG's doing very well with his advice picleo You may want to try what he suggest. j.

VoG II 21:46 29 May 04

Well, thank you Djohn, praise indeed :o)

Mark-323050 21:51 29 May 04

There is one little problem I forgot to mention and that is I don't have an installation disk for my grandsons installation of XP. It was bought against all advice from a computer fair in Manchester about 5 months ago. Thats why I feel I need to be able to repair everything without getting into the legalities or "whatever" that Microsoft lays down with is software licences!

thanks for all the advice up to now though :-)

VoG II 21:58 29 May 04

With my "click here" above, I'm pretty sure that, technically, you could use any Windows XP disk.

If it isn't that then I'm uncertain as to the technical feasibility, let alone the legality, of using a different disk to perform an over-the-top repair.

If we wait a while, Djohn should post Microsoft's phone number (I should have memorised it by now but haven't).

Djohn 22:00 29 May 04

0870 60 10 100 ;o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…