Windows XP Pro Setup

Winston Churchill 20:36 22 Feb 03

My little brother was playing around with my computer and started a windows xp pro install on top of my one that is on there now (i have one hard drive). So when I load up my computer I have a choice between two different 0s'. How do I remove the setup one?

Thanks in advance.

jazzypop 20:41 22 Feb 03

Remove the XP CD and reboot?

Winston Churchill 20:55 22 Feb 03

Tried it, it is the setup thing when you boot up that is the trouble.

jazzypop 21:30 22 Feb 03

What exactly do you see when your PC start up?

'The setup thing' could mean a number of situations

AMD 4 ever 22:59 22 Feb 03

You have to fdisk the partion,basically it has created a dual boot.

temp003 05:44 23 Feb 03

I think that's a "dual boot" of (1) "Microsoft Windows XP Home/Professional Setup" (or a similar name) - meaning the installation process and (2) your existing XP proper (full system).

When you run XP Setup (i.e. the installation from the XP CD), XP Setup copies the installation files to a temporary folder on the hard disk. The computer needs to restart to continue with the XP installation. But it needs to reboot back into XP installation. So it writes new entries into the C:\boot.ini file to make "Windows XP Setup" an additional boot option, making it the default option at the same time.

Normally after the installation is completed, XP Setup will delete the temporary installation files and folders, and rewrite the C:\boot.ini file again to give you only the normal boot options. If the installation is interrupted, XP Setup remains as a boot option.

I think that's what your brother did, since you talked about his trying to install XP. The other thing he could have been doing is trying to install the Recovery Console as an additional boot option, but it's unlikely.

If the above assumptions are right, then correction is not difficult. You need to (1) edit the C:\boot.ini file; and (2) remove the temporary installation files on your hard disk (to reclaim disk space).

To edit boot.ini, right click My Computer, select Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery >Settings. In default operating system box, click the drop down list and select “Microsoft Windows XP Home (or Pro)” /fastdetect as the default. (If you do this, there’s less to edit manually - you can skip this step if you want to do it entirely manually). Click OK and OK.

Then go back into Startup and Recovery > Settings. Click the “Edit” button, which will open the boot.ini file in Notepad. Now under [operating systems], just delete the line C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT=”Microsoft Windows XP (Home or Pro) Setup”, or something like that. I suspect it’s the first line under [operating systems].

Just to make sure, your boot.ini file after all the editing, should read:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS=”Microsoft Windows XP Home (or Professional)” /fastdetect

This assumes your XP is installed on the 1st IDE hard disk, in the first partition on that disk (usually the case). Note that the timeout value is irrelevant and can be number when you only have one boot option.

Save the changes and exit Notepad. Click OK.

Restart the computer. You should be able to boot straight into XP proper without a boot options screen.

Then delete the temporary installation folder. It should be under the C drive called $WIN_NT$.~BT.

If there's anything you're not sure about, or if any of my assumptions are wrong, post back.

temp003 05:49 23 Feb 03

Sorry, in my last post, in regard to the timeout value, "can be number" should read "can be any number".

Winston Churchill 10:59 23 Feb 03

Thanks, Jazzypop, AMD 4 ever (to right!) and not forgetting temp003 whos method I tried and it worked a treat! Just don't take me the wrong way now, but how did you (temp003) find out about all that???

temp003 15:18 23 Feb 03

Mainly learning from others on this forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…