windows xp pro service packs 1 & 2

Kingfisher 18:40 02 Jun 08

Need some advice please, a friend of mine cannot access his secure sites on the internet (after his pci ethernet card had to be replaced and Virgin updated his internet package via a download). ie banking and ebay both are prefixed https,Virgin tech has guided me through all possible security settings in IE6, all non secure sites access ok. he suggested I update his xp which is an early version with no service packs installed at all,have tried downloading xp1 and xp 2 but when the files have self extracted, I get a dialogue box saying "A set up error has occured" and installation halts. I believe his xp pro is an illicit copy, and system spec is very poor 128meg ram, 5gb hard disk space left out of 40 gig. I think he cant access his secure sites because the update from Virgin will only accept xp2 or higher, any ideas why I cant install service packs. Apologies for lengthy posting

woodchip 18:46 02 Jun 08

You only need to load SP2, could be as you say. But Windows should throw up a message if it is

sean-278262 18:47 02 Jun 08

click here

Try downloading the deployment version. Rather than the windows update version. However I would strongly advise you suggest your friend get a legitimate copy of windows. However if they only use the internet and dont play games they could consider the many flavours of linux.

Ubuntu is a good bit similar to windows in many ways and comes out of the box ready to do the usual media playing along with word and internet applications.

click here

You can get a free printed install CD sent to you. These usually arrive in about 2-3 weeks from experience.

A

Kingfisher 21:11 02 Jun 08

Thanks for your advice,will try my copy of sp2 which is on disk if no joy recommend a nw upgraded tower

Strawballs 22:22 02 Jun 08

5Gig should be enough space to install SP2 click here

Strawballs 22:24 02 Jun 08

Also 128meg of Ram is somewhat low for XP must run like a slug

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…