Windows XP Pro OEM or Upgrade ?

Tinkey Winkey 09:51 18 Nov 04

Need XP Pro for a new system build.

OEM is available for around £100

Upgrade is £160 !?

Anyone know why the Upgrade is so much more ?

I take it the upgrade entitles you to Microsoft support whilst with the OEM you're on your own ?

Could someone clarify this please ?

CurlyWhirly 10:01 18 Nov 04

Does it HAVE to be XP Professional?
I bought XP Home Edition (RETAIL version) for £179.99 where the upgrade was only £79.99

Michendi 10:19 18 Nov 04

I suggest you go with XP Pro, not Home. XP Pro has much more functionality than Home, particularly with regards to administrative controls, security and networking. An OS is a major decision and always one worth spending the extra £££ on. If you are not a registered OEM then, if you install the OEM version, you will be entitled to zero support. For an extra £60 I would go with the full-price upgrade every time. [REMEMBER : An upgrade in Windows is not an "upgrade" as such - it is the full product. The term "upgrade" in relationship to Windows is a marketing not a technical term - it means you can purchase the next gee-whiz Windows OS at a discount because you are a current user of Windows.]

Djohn 10:27 18 Nov 04

Upgrade will be more expensive as it is likely to be a "Retail" version. This will give you the right to use on any PC, not just the one you bought it for.

Most people go the OEM route though and when the PC comes to the end of its useful life, re-use the OEM version on the new machine. Technically, you should not do this but the program will work and activate a second time.

Retail does indeed give you access to Microsoft telephone help but only with 2 problems, after that you pay £178.00 per problem! Yes, the figure is correct but they do stay with the problem until it is cured to your satisfaction, even if this involves many calls over a long period of time.

I can't honestly see any advantage of going the retail route unless it may give you access to a more sympathetic ear with Microsoft if a problem does occur.

Gongoozler 10:31 18 Nov 04

Why spend £100?

Microsoft Windows XP Home SP2 OEM £57.47 inc VAT click here

Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2 OEM £92.67 inc VAT click here

The reason the upgrade is so much more expensive is that it is aimed at the consumer and so includes documentation and support. OEM is intended for the computer manufacturer who doesn't need documentation or support.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…