windows xp pro not starting

robcawser 21:11 17 Apr 03

i built a pc for my friend. We have been talking on the phone and he told me that it wont start.
his brother was on a game and it froze (good old xp stability there) he restarted the computer and let it run the scandisk. The system then crashed again. He restarted it and (as described) was asked to insert a boot diskette, as it said it couldnt find any drives... his brother said it sometimes worked and sometimes didnt, now it is not working at all
60gb 7200rpm HD
SocketA motherboard (k7s5a)
AMD athlon 2000xp chip
I run the same motherboard and chip as him and this has happened once (no disks found) when i was trying to format another HD from my old pc. All i did was disconnect the old HD and made sure the other cable was secure in my normal HD.
Stupidly i forgot to mention this to him.

would this remedy the problem.. please post your ideas

sorry bout the long post, i was reading others and noticed the lack in detail

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…