Windows XP Pro Installation difficulty

Tessa348 14:58 12 Jun 03

I have just finished building new computer system with the following components:
motherboard - Gigabyte GA-81K1100,
Pentium 4 2.6 800 MHzFSB, Maxtor HDD 120GB,
1032MB Memory PC3200
Liteon CDRW, AOpen DVD1648
I have set the BIOS to read from CD drive. I downloaded the initial boot up discs from Microsoft and installed these which went ok until I was advised to put the CD-rom in to complete the set-up. I get a blue screen showing "Insert the Cd labelled: Windows XP Professional CD-ROM into your CD-Rom drive. - Press enter when ready"
I do this and the CD-activates with light on and sound coming to indicate drive operating but then returns to the blue screen message again. If I re-boot I get a message : Boot from CD
Disk Boot failure, Insert system disk and press enter - which of course just repeats each time I press enter. I would be extremely grateful for any help as this is my first pc build and until now was pleased with progress made.

The Sack 15:03 12 Jun 03

You dont use any boot discs unless you PC is a 486.

Just shove the CD in on its own and reboot it, XP is a bootable CD.

Tessa348 15:09 12 Jun 03

I tried the CD-Rom to start with but this did not work and for this reason downloaded boot-up discs wondering if as all new system, needed some very basic stuff first. I have tried to reboot with just the CD-rom but it just shows disk boot failure, telling me to insert disk which is already there.

Djohn 15:17 12 Jun 03

I see you have 2 CD drives, CDRW and DVD. have you tried to install from both?

Tessa348 15:57 12 Jun 03

Thankyou Djohn for this very logical response. No I hadn't tried but have now and with success. I was too frustrated and desperate to think clearly about this so thankyou very much.

Djohn 16:03 12 Jun 03

Your welcome, with 2 drives it's easy for us to forget which is the boot drive. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This poetic animation about monsters is illustrated in a Van Gogh painterly style

Apple predictions 2017