Windows XP Pro Installation difficulty

Tessa348 14:58 12 Jun 03

I have just finished building new computer system with the following components:
motherboard - Gigabyte GA-81K1100,
Pentium 4 2.6 800 MHzFSB, Maxtor HDD 120GB,
1032MB Memory PC3200
Liteon CDRW, AOpen DVD1648
I have set the BIOS to read from CD drive. I downloaded the initial boot up discs from Microsoft and installed these which went ok until I was advised to put the CD-rom in to complete the set-up. I get a blue screen showing "Insert the Cd labelled: Windows XP Professional CD-ROM into your CD-Rom drive. - Press enter when ready"
I do this and the CD-activates with light on and sound coming to indicate drive operating but then returns to the blue screen message again. If I re-boot I get a message : Boot from CD
Disk Boot failure, Insert system disk and press enter - which of course just repeats each time I press enter. I would be extremely grateful for any help as this is my first pc build and until now was pleased with progress made.

The Sack 15:03 12 Jun 03

You dont use any boot discs unless you PC is a 486.

Just shove the CD in on its own and reboot it, XP is a bootable CD.

Tessa348 15:09 12 Jun 03

I tried the CD-Rom to start with but this did not work and for this reason downloaded boot-up discs wondering if as all new system, needed some very basic stuff first. I have tried to reboot with just the CD-rom but it just shows disk boot failure, telling me to insert disk which is already there.

Djohn 15:17 12 Jun 03

I see you have 2 CD drives, CDRW and DVD. have you tried to install from both?

Tessa348 15:57 12 Jun 03

Thankyou Djohn for this very logical response. No I hadn't tried but have now and with success. I was too frustrated and desperate to think clearly about this so thankyou very much.

Djohn 16:03 12 Jun 03

Your welcome, with 2 drives it's easy for us to forget which is the boot drive. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…