Windows XP Pro Firewall - safe enough?

Blanc Glacier 18:19 18 May 04

Hi i was wondering if anybody could help!?

I am currently using Windows XP Pro enabled Firewall, however is this safe enough? I have used Norton before however had lots of problems. I also have Internet Sharing set up on my home network. The other machine running (ME) connect directly to this one (XP Pro) however doesnt have a firewall itself of Antiv Virus. Is that ok?

If any1 could direct me in the right direction then that would be a great help.

Thanks

expertec 18:38 18 May 04

The windows XP firewall is a bit rubbish, get Sygate click here

Blanc Glacier 18:40 18 May 04

Can this be run in conjunction with XP's firewall?

PSF 18:41 18 May 04

Run the 'shields up' test on this site, click here to see if any of your ports are open.
You should find that your security os ok.

You will need Anit-virus protection on all pc's as the sharing pc could get a virus via an e-mail, or from a web site.

Fruit Bat 18:47 18 May 04

XP firewall better than nothing but Zonealarm much better and free on cover disk

techpro 19:03 18 May 04

XP firewall is OK if you have SP1. If not, it leaves open some ports such as those used for Messenger Spam.

Gaz 25 19:11 18 May 04

Xp firewall is good for incoming, not for outgoing.

Djohn 20:46 18 May 04

It's the only one I use, in fact I only turned it on last week and to the best of my knowledge I've been OK for the past four years.

I do use and update on a regular basis Spybot S&D/Adaware/AVG. None of these stopped me from receiving the agbot.BK virus last week though but then neither would any firewall have stopped it.

Apart from being hit with the above virus and DEDLER G. in the same week I have never caught a cold before. AVG flagged it immediately and removed it. j.

gregori 21:05 18 May 04

XPs firewall unlike ZoneAlarm does not prevent progams on your PC from accessing the internet. Only stops incoming. On ZoneAlarm you have to grant each program permission but it will remember next time so it is only the once. Permission can easily be changed from ZoneAlarms control panel.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:14 18 May 04

I shall remain stoically silent on this. ;-)))

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…