Windows XP Pro defrag and system restore failure

johnpalmer 06:46 20 Jan 06

I try to keep my computer healthy by regular defrag, and Norton System Works & Antivirus etc.

A problem has recently occurred when I tried to defrag recently and got the message "disk defragmenter could not start". I then tried the Norton speed disk. Again failure with the message "an unexpected error occurred while communicating with the speed disk try reinstalling speed disk". When I tried to re-install speed disk, my CD drive couldn't read the disk.
I then tried system System Restore. Again failure.

My computer (Mesh Matrix with 1.4gb Athlon & 8ogb harddrive)seems to work perfectly.

Has anybody any ideas.

I necessary, could I re-install XP Pro without losing all existing data.

P.S. I am only enthusiastic amateur

MichelleC 10:28 20 Jan 06

1st repair any drive errors; then try NSW (but from disc not hd).

You can repair xp from consol without losing data.

johnpalmer 07:41 21 Jan 06

How do I detect and repair drive errors. I fitted a brand new hard drive 2 months ago.

Everything boots up properly. Neither Norton Windoctor or System Mechanic find any faults that aren't immediately fixed.

Norton Disk Doctor puts a message up "The operating system or another process currently has exclusive access to this drive or some of its files. Norton Disk Doctor cannot continue a repair under thes conditions". I don't know what that means.

Finally, what is NSW, and my CD player won't recognise any disc.

I can boot from the CD, but this seems to want to completely re-install Windows XP.

The computer seems to function completely normally, except for these fixing tools.

john-232317 08:08 21 Jan 06

Defrag wont work if files are being used in the background, click here read this and it will explain how to get over this. Or download this free program, I use it and never have any problem. click here

johnpalmer 13:30 21 Jan 06

The problem has only just occurred, it is not just because files are being used in the background. Defrag and System Restore will not work.

This has only just happened

john-232317 22:34 21 Jan 06

Download, update then run Ewido click here its free and should find any nasties and get rid of them for you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…