windows xp pro boot up problem

jvk 20:55 23 Jul 03

i've recently installed xp pro on a brand new 120Gb hard drive. I have been installing software on it without any problems but now when I try to start up the PC, a message saying Boot From CD Failure: Please Insert System Disk And Hit Enter.

If I don't insert the CD, the machine will not start up. If I do insert the CD, it tries to reinstall Windows!! What can I do to fix it please?

spikeychris 21:01 23 Jul 03

Set your BIOS to boot from HDD.

jvk 21:04 23 Jul 03

Boot order in BIOS is Floppy, HDD, CDROM...first place I looked!!

spikeychris 21:19 23 Jul 03

Bang the the XP disk in the drive and boot from CD in the BIOS and Perform a repair installation

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3. 3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you do not want to load Recovery Console). 4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations. 5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, read this Warning!! 6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

You will have to reapply all the hotfixes you have grabbed from the net.

Chris

jvk 21:57 23 Jul 03

Will I run into a similar problem again?? Is the problem with the hard drive not being a bootable disk??

Philip2 22:46 23 Jul 03

Is the jumper set for master? is the drive showing in the bios? what size was your hard drive you up dated from?.I have updated mine from forty GB to eighty GB i don't think i would get my mobo to work with a 120 GB.

jvk 01:07 24 Jul 03

Many thanks for all your help. I've found the problem and all is working fine now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…