Windows XP Pro boot disc errors.

david20 09:29 07 May 04

I have downloaded from Microsoft website the boot discs onto 6 floppies in order to do a new instal of Windows XP Pro.Set up started Ok but On disk 3 I received the following error message: FILE SETUPP.SYS COULD NOT BE FOUND. ERROR CODE IS 4096. SET UP CANNOT CONTINUE. Any offers of help greatly appreciated.

Diodorus Siculus 09:33 07 May 04

Could be that the file got corrupted on the download.

Are you in a position to boot with the XP CD? It is more reliable - you can go into the BIOS (setup) and tell the PC to boot from CD.

david20 09:54 07 May 04

I'll try downloading the floppies again.
I have changed the boot up order to start from CD drive and installed the CD-Rom, but this does not work.
The message I receive when i turn on my computer with no OS installed used to be:'Boot System Error- Please insert disc'. However this has now changed to a higly frustating 'Default: F?_' which doesn't allow me to type any comand apart from F1 to F4 keys, which just repeat this message.

Can you tell me- I have a new Maxtor 80GB HDD installed also- do i need to set this up and format it before installing XP Pro? In my angst, I started to fdisk the HDD, but didn't get as far as formatting the C drive. Could this action be preventing installation of XP?.

On the verge of giving up on my 6 month old machine!

Terry Brown 10:57 07 May 04

Go to click here where you will find a full set of boot disks (including the XP), else contact me (Email) and I wil be glad to send you the revelant download.

david20 11:52 11 May 04

Finally I have loaded XP!
It was an od route to take though- had to set the Bios to read my DVD-Rom drive first. Then inserted a Win 2000 Pro install CD, then inserted an XP disc which upgraded the 2000.
Thanks to all who offered advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…