Windows XP Password Retrieval

10x 19:09 09 Oct 07

I have attempted, for the first time ever, to boot my computer from the Windows XP Home CD, hoping to be able to effect a repair to my Windows Explorer. I was eventually asked for the 'Administrator Password', which I do not know. It is a stand-a-lone PC, used only by me. When I bought it, I simply plugged it in and started using it. I was not asked for any password then or since.

Does anyone know of a way of determining what the password is, or of any 'work-around' ?

Regards everyone

10X

Technotiger 19:22 09 Oct 07

When asked for the 'non-existant' password, simply press Return - it may then continue as normal.

Or try Admin or admin as the password.

esbe 23:09 09 Oct 07

try this freebie - scroll down to 'Secrets'

SIW v 1.70

click here

cheers.

gardener 23:32 09 Oct 07

As far as I'm aware you can't access the recovery console to repair an XP installation without a password. I didn't enter a password on my original installation and I had the same problem. Luckily I had made a disk image using Acronis True Image, an invaluable program.

Unless you can use a third party repair tool (if there is one), I think a reformat is your only option. Someone may be able to prove me wrong hopefully.If you have data on the drive you could invest in a second hard drive and install the problem drive as a slave. You should then be able to move your data (not the OS) across to the new drive

I would suggest that when you're up and running again with all updates and drivers installed make a disk image using Acronis, it's a life-saver.

gardener 00:15 10 Oct 07

I may be wrong in my previous post. On the Microsoft website, when asked for a password just press enter. It didn't work for me though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…