Windows XP Password policies

montyburns 10:40 29 Sep 05

Using Windows XP professional, on a machine that is used as stand-alone, but with a network connection that can be used when required

Trying to change the user password at logon to a 5 digit password. Why? We don't need complex logons as the computer(s) are in a secure building accessed only by ourselves, and have passwords set in the BIOS anyway. The five digit combination is one we all know.

We've got round it by putting two extra characters on the end, but really want to dump them.

I've looked into "Local Security Settings" and "Password Policy" but all the options are disabled/greyed out.

I want to get rid of the settings in "Enforce Password History" and Max and Min password age, as well as changing the minimum password length from 6 characters to 5.

I'm logged on as Admin, and have full rights, so there must be something, somewhere that I can select to change these settings?

Any help appreciated!!

johnnyrocker 10:46 29 Sep 05

i seem to recall a post which suggested this can be done in safe mode.

johnny.

Stuartli 10:53 29 Sep 05

If you key in Change Password into XP's Help and Support there is advice available.

All Microsoft programs and applications have excellent and comprehensive Help sections.

montyburns 11:42 29 Sep 05

Tried looking in Help and tried to change the settings in Safe Mode - no joy

Basically, in "Local Security Settings" I change anything in the "Account Policies" tab. I need to know how to re-gain control over these functions....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced