Windows XP partitioning roundabout

Kernel 07:55 11 Apr 08

I am trying to load Windows XP with SP2 onto a previously used HDD, when I get to the 'unpartitioned space' window it indicates a space something like 7011, but there are no other partitions indicated. If I press 'enter', the next window tells me that I need to create a partition and returns me to the 'unpartitioned space' window and so I go backwards and forwards endlessly. I have tried this on three previously used but apparently good HDD's, all with the same result. I have low level reformatted the present HDD and the manufacturer's diagnostic tells me it is good but all to no avail. I have not had this problem previously, any suggestions?

Technotiger 10:47 11 Apr 08

Try again after doing a full re-format.

brundle 10:51 11 Apr 08

"low level reformatted"...low level formatting isn't recommended for modern drives because they don't use a fixed geometry the way a floppy disk does for example, that's usually done at the factory. Give DBAN or KillDisk a go. click here , click here

Gordon999 11:15 11 Apr 08

Low level format is done at the manufacturers basically getting the HDD ready for use by the user ie Formatting and loading the operating system you may find you can no longer use the disks.

Have a look at this article

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac