Windows XP opening page hijacked!

gren1tote 21:54 23 Feb 05

The start up page of my Windows XP of blue sky and green grass has been replaced with an internet page advertising anti-spyware measures. It has resisted all attempts to remove, including Skybot Search and Destroy. Any ideas as to how to remove permanently?

stalion 21:59 23 Feb 05

post a hijack this log on here click here

Dan the Confused 22:05 23 Feb 05

Ad-aware SE click hereclick here CWShredder click here AntiSpyware click here

Update these and run them, along with Spybot, in safe mode (tap F8 before Windows loads and select from menu that appears).

Al94 22:18 23 Feb 05

Go to the display settings in your control panel
Click on desktop>customize desktop

Click on the web tab.

Uncheck whatever you see there

This is the only way to fix it.

VoG II 22:27 23 Feb 05

Are you serious?

cycoze 23:05 23 Feb 05

That might stop the offender showing on the desktop but it wont clean any infection of adware the machine might have .

cycoze 23:38 23 Feb 05

adaware and a² as Dan the Confused suggested coupled with spybot sd are always a good starting point along with an Anti Virus.

Can i suggest that you also download and install BHODemon 2.0 from click here , it is possible this might pick up the offender if it has installed itself as a BHO.

It would also help if you could say what the name of the software is that is being advertised and if you have downloaded anything that might have caused this , anything useful that might pinpoint a file name etc to give helpers something to go on.

As said above you can also download the latest version of Hijack this .

Al94 22:48 24 Feb 05

Yep, perfectly serious, usually running all the suggested adaware, spybot etc will still leave the desk top hijacked so what I suggested sorts it.

Al94 22:56 24 Feb 05

PS I was told to look here in response to a forum query last month, second post from the bottom click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…