Windows XP and old software/device drivers

SheilaB 22:58 09 Jan 04

I have a new laptop running Windows XP and some software (at least 30 programmes/utlities!!) and device drivers to reinstall dating back to Windows 98 and 2000. I also have new XP level software to install.

I suspect there will be different versions of the drivers around - what's the best strategy - should I install the old programmes first and then the new ones,or am I going to have problems no matter what order I install in..... how do I stop drivers overwriting each other?
Sheila

plsndrs3 23:11 09 Jan 04

Software can be made to run as though under Win95/98 in XP and drivers are for hardware - or are you referring to scanner/priter/etc?

If you are looking to add a printer, say, that ran under Win95 and have drivers for this I would personally install the hardware and the system will advise whether updated drivers are needed. When I moved from 95 to XP I was able to use all my hardware as XP has a list of Plug&play drivers of it's own. I would guess that if I had a printer made by XYZ company and this could not be found, the updated driver should be available on the manufacturer's website. Of course, if one is not available then the hardware is completely incompatible and requires updating anyhow.

I also had a few older programs - all of which I have changed the compatability [right click on icon, select compatability and tick 'run this program in compatability mode, then choose the OS it worked under from the dropdown menu].

If I have misunderstood, my apologies. Could you explain further?

Regards,

Paul

SheilaB 12:25 11 Jan 04

I was thinking of shared dlls, I guess, and programs that would try to install older versions of these that installed with Windows XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…