windows xp oem recovery

pejay9 19:59 23 Jan 08

I Run Windows XP/SP2 preloaded OEM.
Following recent problems I find the recovery CD Rom supplied has no option to repair etc. only reload, therefore losing all the programmes etc I have downloaded (no CD). I see various magazine articles about creating or purchasing your own CD for carrying out recovery or repairs, would they work with an OEM version?
Alternatively is it possible to copy the whole 'C' drive to an external hard drive and reload from there without losing programmes etc
(Novice)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:21 23 Jan 08

Alternatively is it possible to copy the whole 'C' drive to an external hard drive and reload from there without losing programmes etc
(Novice)

You cannot just "copy" it you need to use a program such as Acronis True Image to take a "snapshot" of the drive, the snap shot can be save to another drive or DVDs and replaced in approx 10 mins if things go wrong with the original drive.

lotvic 22:46 23 Jan 08

If you have either a Seagate or a Maxtor harddrive you can download for free DiscWizard or MaxBlast5 which contain a cutdown version of AcronisTI 10 together with full instructions (with screenshots) of how to use and make images. click here

You do not have to register on the site to download the prog.

(MaxBlast5 and DiscWizard won't work if it can't detect either a Seagate or a Maxtor harddrive attached to your system)

I find MaxBlast5 excellent for making Acronis images (*.tib files) and there is the option to upgrade to Acronis Home Version with 40% discount if you want to. I find it does all I need without upgrading.

Kelno 17:55 24 Jan 08

Google 'BartPE' (for the recovey issue) and 'xxcopy clone' (for the sys backup)
Both free.
Here is what I use for my backups:

@echo off
rem CLONE ENTIRE SYS DISK (C) ONTO CLONE DISK (G)
xxcopy C:\ G:\ /clone /ff /yy /pbh /xrecycler\ /oa:C:\Log\LogBkpSysClone.txt
notepad "C:\Log\LogBkpSysClone.txt"

Good Luck!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…