WIndows XP OEM EULA

jtt 09:07 07 Sep 06

Does anyone know if there's a copy of the End-User License Agreement for Microsoft Windows XP (home and professional) anywhere on the web? I've found them for the retail version (ie non-OEM), but not for the OEM version. I'm trying to find the restrictions on the OEM version compared to the retail (non-OEM) version.

xania 09:14 07 Sep 06

OEM versions are tied to the PC as is. Change the motherboard, and your copy is no longer valid and will not validate.

Mr Mistoffelees 09:18 07 Sep 06

All you really need to know is that the OEM licence is tied to the computer on which it is first installed. It is not transferable, when that PC dies, the licence dies with it, it cannot be installed on another PC even if you remove Windows from the original machine. With a non-OEM version you could remove Windows from the first PC your copy is installed on and install it on a new one.

HondaMan 09:35 07 Sep 06
  anskyber 09:59 07 Sep 06

From the MS site. "MORE INFORMATION
The End User License Agreement (Oemeula.txt) for OEM versions of Office XP contains the following text:
General License Grant to Install and Use. Except as otherwise expressly provided in this EULA, You may only install and use one copy of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT on the COMPUTER. The SOFTWARE PRODUCT may not be installed, accessed, displayed, run, shared or used concurrently on or from different computers, including a workstation, terminal or other digital or analog electronic device ("Device"), except as set forth below for SharePoint Team Services"

anskyber 10:00 07 Sep 06

Also "REFERENCES
The Oemeula.txt file is contained in the Office1.cab file on the root of an Office XP CD-ROM. You can extract Oemeula.txt from the Office1.cab cabinet file in order to open it in a text editor. "

Zeppelyn 10:07 07 Sep 06

Microsoft in my experience are fairly relaxed about this issue. I have an OEM copy (not manufacturer specific) of XP Pro that is now on its third replacement machine. Each time Microsoft were quite happy to validate provided its installed on one machine only which I hasten to add it is.

Giggle n' Bits 10:10 07 Sep 06

viewing unless your a system builder or oem.
there is however the details built into the windows xp as a txt file as above reference.

jtt 11:18 07 Sep 06

Wow, what a mine field! The reason I asked the question is that there seems to be many different opinions on this, so I wanted to see the official EULA. I can't understand why Microsoft don't put it on their website, but there you go.

Giggle n' Bits 14:08 09 Sep 06
  Giggle n' Bits 14:10 09 Sep 06

its very american lingo and understanding it is a minefield to a newbie. There/they/thall/ etc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac