Windows XP not shutting down.

Addie 19:40 15 Aug 07

I have had problems with my computer running with Windows XP shuts down. I get the message ‘Windows is shutting down’ - but then it doesn’t!

I contacted Mesh who originally sold me the PC for advise (they had recently fitted a new hard drive and I didn’t want it wrecking), and they told me to stop all the items in the system tray from loading at start-up and then bring them back in one by one until I find the culprit.

Whilst following this advise, I took the liberty of keeping the Anti-Virus (Virgin’s PCGuard) and Modem related stuff on as I thought this may be best, but whereas I took a chance with a few things on the list (which I had no idea to what program they related to), there were a couple of items listed there which I was unsure about. I didn’t want to cause myself more problems by not letting them do their own thing at boot-up. These were ctfmon, rundll32 and PSDrvCheck.

I am still having problems with shutting down Windows though.

I could do with some advise as to whether I really should stop all items in System Configuration Utility/Start Up or if there may be other causes for Windows not wanting to shut down correctly?

manrow 19:54 15 Aug 07

Simplistically google all the items in the start-up tray to find out if vital. I believe ctfmon and rundll32 are required but not sure about PSDrvCheck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…