Windows XP not loading up

slackeratslack 09:34 29 Nov 05

Can anyone help please?
PC at home seems to be booting up OK, to the point where the Windows logo screen is up and just when you ecpect to go to the log on screen, it goes to a blue screen with an error message about being unable to load a file called (something like)
/sytemroot/sytem32/system config/software.

I'm not at the home at present, so was hoping someone may be able to give me some things to try tonight.

By the way, it is a Mesh PC and I didn't get the correct CD Recovery disc as I found out last night! Any help most welcomed

slackeratslack 10:03 29 Nov 05

Can anyone send me to a previous thread on this problem?

I think it will be along the lines of going into recovery mode and typing in some lines to correct the corrupted file but I am unsure.

Please help!

bazb 11:13 29 Nov 05

here's a thread from a different forum click here

Good luck

slackeratslack 13:36 29 Nov 05

bazb,

Thanks. some good info there. I think my problem is going to be getting into the recovery console.

The CD Mesh gave me wants to load Windows again and no matter when or how often I type R, it wont go into Recovery mode.i don't know how to get past this.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:28 29 Nov 05

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

Choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R",

4. At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line:

md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software

copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software

5. Type exit to quit Recovery Console. Your computer will restart.

Note This procedure assumes that Windows XP is installed to the C:\Windows folder. Make sure to change C:\Windows to the appropriate windows_folder if it is a different location.

slackeratslack 16:09 29 Nov 05

Thanks Fruit Bat,

I saw your response in another thread. I will try this again tonight but I don't think I get the Welcome to set up screen. It starts off loading stuff then tells me what partitions are on the hard drive and where do I want to install Windows, warning me about losing files. I am reluctant to go further.If I enter return at that point is that where I getthe chance eo repair?

handful 16:25 29 Nov 05

My advice is to follow the Microsoft fix to the letter click here
I have tried most of the short versions and failed to recover but this one will work if you manage to follow it to the letter. Good luck!

handful 16:29 29 Nov 05

Sorry, forgot to say, all you should need to do is select R for recovery mode and it should take you to a dos prompt where you can start the recovery process. If you have no password just hit enter. Sometimes, you may lock up before getting to this screen but if you do just reboot from the cd and keep trying.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:57 29 Nov 05

It starts off loading stuff then tells me what partitions are on the hard drive and where do I want to install Windows

If asking to install windows then you are one screen too far on.

click here

at figure 3 Press R

slackeratslack 08:43 30 Nov 05

Fruit Bat,

Thanks again. Looking at the Figures on that last link, my PC goes from Figure 2 to Figure 6. I do not get the Windows Setup screen, hence my problem.I don't think I have the correct XP CD from Mesh.

I have contacted Mesh to see if I can get another Recovery CD. (Trying to actually speak to someone at Mesh outwith office hours is another matter!)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:23 30 Nov 05

Borrow a XP CD from somebody

(its not illeagal if when installing you put in your own license number from the sticker on the machine)

and see if you can get into recovery consul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…