Windows xp not launching

Esso43 13:27 16 Mar 05

I have a collegue whose laptop will not boot xp.

he get a blue screen which comes up and goes quickly (too quickly to read) and then gets a screen which says something to the effect taht windows cannot lauch due to a hardware or software problem if you know what that is related to certain things select last know good point else normal safe etc options.

None of these options work, they all end up back at this screen.

So two questions any ideas how to solve? and
Any ideas how to hold that blue screen up long enough to read?

His machine is a laptop (sony) and is running Windows xp pro with SP2.

Let me know if you need any otehr information, thanks in advance.

Completealias 14:47 16 Mar 05

You could try the pause button to see if that will freeze the screen.

If you got an xp disk you could try repairing the installation boot from the xp disk when windows setup starts choose intall xp not the recovery console accept the licence and when ask if you wish to install a new copy or repair the exsiting press r to repair let the setup run through. If this sorts the problem out then no data or programs will be lost the only things you'll will have to put back on there is any windows updates eg service pack 2

Esso43 15:01 16 Mar 05

He doesn't have a full Windows disk it appears he has a recovery disk which I assume would only allow him to get back to the original factory position.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:27 16 Mar 05

Download a set of boot disks from click here

Completealias 23:43 17 Mar 05

It depends on the maker of the system my laptop recovery disk will allow me to just repair the boot files and drivers, can u post manufacturer and model etc of laptop

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…