windows xp not booting

tele52 09:48 05 Mar 11

Can anyone help with this please?
I have a dell system with canon mp150 all-in-one.
Everything was working fine until after I printed a document from a website, the computer was working fine until I tried to use the mp navigator
shortcut. The computer locked up and the only way out was to disconnect the power. Left it for a few minutes, then tried to start but couldn't get past the wallpaper screen i.e. no icons or taskbar. I switched off again the same way and restarted in safe mode, ran a spyware & virus checks which were all OK, system restore and finally uninstalled the canon drivers & utilities etc... - Restarted the computer again but still can't get past the wallpaper screen.
Any ideas will be appreciated.

tele52 09:54 05 Mar 11

sorry - forgot to mention Windows came pre-installed & I don't have the CD.

birdface 10:06 05 Mar 11

Maybe try last good configuration in safe mode
or chkdsk.
Try Device manager to see if there are any yellow exclamation marks beside any of the drivers.
If the Cannon is connected by USB disconnect it and see if it will start ok.
Thats just some things that you can try until someone comes up with better idea's.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:49 05 Mar 11

If "last good" doesn't work then

boot to safe mode and start - run -type
sfc /scannow
press OK

let windows run the system file checker to replace any missing or corrupt files.

tele52 20:46 05 Mar 11

Thanks for your replies
I've tried last good config, tried chkdsk, uninstalled canon drivers & couldn't run sfc /scannow - still not working.
Any more ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:37 05 Mar 11

Note the space in sfc /scannow

Can you borrow a CD?

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

tele52 10:26 16 Mar 11

Sorry for not replying sooner.
Unfortunately I was unable to locate a disc so had to take the computer to a local tech.

He was able to restore everything back to normal after removing an embedded virus which my Avast AV wasn't picking up so after a change of AV all seems ok.

Many thanks all for your help

birdface 11:16 16 Mar 11

Basically avast is only an anti-virus program and you need a good anti-malware program to go with it.
So if you are running without a decent Anti-Malware program on your computer the chances are that we may see you back here again.

tele52 08:47 24 Mar 11

Thanks for your reply.
I have changed the AV to Nod32 and now have Malwarebytes installed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac