//some 3rd party need geo

Windows xp New user

holligan 08:52 22 Jan 04

Any tips and websites to help a new xp user and first week on net and comp user.

cheers

Big Elf 09:12 22 Jan 04

You might find this one useful click here

Big Elf 09:14 22 Jan 04

And this click here

holligan 16:51 22 Jan 04

Any more

Big Elf 17:33 22 Jan 04

If you go to google and enter 'xp tweaks and tricks' without the inverted commas you'll get 26,500 suggestions. I picked the ones that I've visited before and know are reliable.

Stuartli 17:50 22 Jan 04

Learn the basics of XP first - leave the tricks and tweaks until you know what you are doing.

If you go to your local library you should be able to find one of the "How to Use" type books on XP - "How to Do Everything with XP" is one - or the well known "Idiot's Guide to..." series has a similar publication (no offence intended or inferred).

If you have any problems, such a book will quickly help you to sort it out if a visit to XP's Help and Support hasn't already done so.

Remember that you have to learn to walk before you can run...:-))

Rayuk 18:14 22 Jan 04

click here
click here
click here
click here
click here

Should keep you occupied for a while.

AubreyS 18:20 22 Jan 04

Big Elf.

I clicked on your link and the first one in the list "Add XP TweakUI Icon to the Control Panel" I clicked on and immediateley I had a virus alert pop up.

palinka 18:30 22 Jan 04

If you have a good bookshop nearby, go and spend time - probably a long time - looking at the books they have. Go with a few questions in mind and in each book that takes your fancy see whether your question is indexed; then whether you can understand the answer!
When you've found something that fits your needs buy it because you're going to want to refer to it often.
Note that glossy comes at a price & anything out of the Microsoft publishing stable requires a fork-lift truck to lift it and a second mortgage to pay for it.
All of us in this forum will have our favourites, but it's what YOU can live with that is important; hence the visit to the bookshop.

©®@$? 18:34 22 Jan 04

don't worry it is not a virus, it is a vbs file whcih the antivirus detects it as potentially harmful but it isn't

Big Elf 18:51 22 Jan 04

Since finding a fix for an unsual problem a while ago I've been exploring the site and as mentioned found it reliable.

I should perhaps have pointed out that as ©®@$? says that they have both 'vbs' and 'reg' files which modify the registry and can be reported as virii.

Perhaps that site should be visited once more experience in XP has been gained. Timely warning though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…