Windows XP onto a new hard drive.

Sparkly 10:17 25 Jan 06

Hi please could someone answer this for me? I have an older pc that i am stripping down for an upgrade i have bought a new hard drive and windows xp that i intend to install on the older pc which is not set up for the WWW. and i dont intend to use it for that purpose,it will be solely for video editing, if i was to install xp on the drive and then put it on my other machine to use the WWW. to get it activated would it work ok on my other pc fine when i switch it back? Many thanks.

andrew-196854 10:20 25 Jan 06

what version of windows xp have you got is it full retail oem

Monument 10:23 25 Jan 06

You will find that if you move the HDD between machines XP will only boot on the machine on which it was installed.

This is because it in effect ties itself to the motherboard/hardware of the machine.

andrew-196854 11:06 25 Jan 06

just to clarify you have only one hard drive then ,and your going to keep swapping them between machines is this right ps did you older pc have an operating system? if the later take note of monument reply

PC Bilbo 11:19 25 Jan 06

An alternative method would be to use an HDD Caddy system with a spare caddy in the machine that connects to the internet. You will then be able to legally install XP on both drives as it is one machine with all the same hardware but customise other software to suit.

You can then swap the caddies around within seconds
when you want to run video editing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…