Windows XP and new barebones system

Dave1812 21:40 01 Sep 06

Hi Guys
I recently blew my mobo and PSU (Don't ask me how, its too embarassing). However I am thinking of getting a new barebones system i.e. Case, mobo, chip and memory. I want to use my existing harddisk plus other bits.
My query is re: WindowsXP. I assume I will have problems with the XP on my harddisk. Can anybody tell me what the problems will be or should I go directly for a Linux O/S.

Many thanks

howard63 21:43 01 Sep 06

unless you can get the identical mobo and cpu your copy of win xp will not run properly. If you have backups of your data just reformat and load xp again. If you have no backups put the hard drive in another pc as the slave drive and copy your data. It is also possible to copy your xp activation code for the reinstall.

Dave1812 21:56 01 Sep 06

Thanks Howard
I can access the data Ok as have put the harddisk in an enclosure so I assume that I can retreive the activation code. Will this help me to use the WinXP software? By the way, I don't have a windows XP disk, only a MESH recovery disk.

Fingees 23:04 01 Sep 06

I have changed motherboard a number of times over the years, in order to upgrade..

Never had any problems reading the existing hard drive when refitted, but I had to activate windows again.
However,if you have at any time to reinstall from your recovery disk
It may not work, as it is probably an OEM version, and as the computer will be effectively changed. it may refuse to work on a different computer.

Dave1812 23:11 01 Sep 06

Cheers fingees
I guess the only thing is to try it and if it don't work I can always try Linux

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac