WIndows XP, missing pieces!

totty102 14:10 24 Dec 06

Merry Christmas everyone! Having a few probs with my PC which Ive put up with but I think its now the time to sort them out!
I (unfortunately) own a Tiny PC, running windows XP. Evrything has been fine but some things are a miss and I cant nail it down to when it happened.
System Restore doesnt work, it comes back with a error message saying it couldnt restore. Windows Help and Support doesnt work, comes back with a system service is not running. MSconfig doesnt work saying it cant find the file. Ive thought about doing some kind of reintallation of WIndows XP but I only have an OEM Restore Disk. Can anyone help so I can get Windows up and going again
Thanks xx :-)

totty102 14:23 24 Dec 06

ok, managed to get msconfig working by installing the missing file

VoG II 14:27 24 Dec 06
  rawprawn 14:28 24 Dec 06

Try a system file scan, go to Start/Run/type sfc /scannow (Watch the space between sfc and /) hit enter. You will need your restore disc. I sfc won't run come back and I will give you instructions to run it from C:

LastChip 14:31 24 Dec 06

From what you are describing, why don't you bite the bullet, back up all your personal files to removable media and use that restore disc to start from scratch.

I've a feeling you'll end up doing that anyway.

A final thought and I don't know if it applies to you.

Some manufacturers disable system restore and use their own version of the same. Do you have that option I wonder?

totty102 14:58 24 Dec 06

Thanks for the suggestions....

Thank VoG for the link, very useful. However, having managed to get the Help and Support in the Services menu to start and having downloaded the fix from your link, when I click on Help & Support in start menu I get nothing, not even an error message

Thanks rawprawn for your help. Haivng started the scan no probs, it asks for the Win XP Home CD, I put my disk in and it says its not a win XP home CD (which I expected as its just a restore disk) and therefore, I had to stop the scan as it kept asking for it.

As for system resotre, I dont have a manufacturers version and I have used system restore fine in the past....I guess Im just trying not to go down the format route to pure windows bliss!!(Is there such a thing??!!)

VoG II 14:59 24 Dec 06

Try this click here

rawprawn 15:09 24 Dec 06

First make sure you have Folder 1386 in C: Drive, if not locate it on the XP CD and copy it to C:

Start, Run, 'regedit', OK.

Backup the Registry in case of trouble: File, Export (to a place of your choice).

Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsCurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries here on the right hand side. The one we want is called:

SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. All we need to do is change it to:

C:
Simply double click the SourcePath setting and a new box will pop up allowing you to make the change.

Now restart your computer and try scannow sfc again!
Credits to a link posted by VoG™ some time ago.

rawprawn 15:10 24 Dec 06

"First make sure you have Folder 1386 in C: Drive, if not locate it on the XP CD and copy it to C:"
Read restore disc instead of XP CD

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017