Windows XP "Missing or corrupt file"

Bosa 17:46 15 Jun 03

3 times (in just under 3 months) my Windows XP Pro PC has failed to load windows, advising me that the file "\windows\system32\config\system" is missing or corrupt. This has caused me no end of hassle. Reinstalled twice then on the 3rd occassion did an ASR Back-up reinstall (and only lost 4 days worth). Has anuone heard of this problem.
Any comments, help, etc much appreciated. Thanks.

beeuuem 17:59 15 Jun 03

Follow the instructions click here and you should be running in a few minutes.

Lú-tzé 18:06 15 Jun 03

click here for a response to that issue on the computing.net site.

It seems to be a registry problem: click here for details.

Lú-tzé 18:07 15 Jun 03

Or do as beeuuem pointed out while I was still typing... :-}

handful 18:29 15 Jun 03

I have had this twice. First time just after getting my new pc running how I wanted, the second time about 6 weeks ago. The first time I eventually re-formatted and started again. The second time I followed the instructions in the Microsoft Knowledge database to the letter and managed to recover. I can't find it at the moment so can't link it for you but it is a long drawn out process. Most of the other suggestions may or may not work but if not you will be reformatting anyway as you can't go back to the start. My advice is search the Microsoft database and do it the long way

handful 18:33 15 Jun 03

Just looked at Lú-tzé's second link. I'm sure that is taken from the Microsoft database I was talking about.
Go for it, it worked for me.

Bosa 18:44 15 Jun 03

Thanks for the help everyone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…