//some 3rd party need geo

Windows XP - Microsoft snooping

jaysym 11:37 31 Mar 03

Is there truth in the rumours that Microsoft can detect illegal software on Windows XP PC's via the Internet and introduce software to slow-down the PC?

Mango Grummit 11:46 31 Mar 03

Probably, and if so -- a good thing don't you think?

€dstow 12:02 31 Mar 03

I don't care if M$ can do this - all my software is bought and paid for. I have the receipts.

One thing I would question, though, is what right does M$ have to do this if they are, indeed, checking software other than their own as is suggested?

€d

spikeychris 12:12 31 Mar 03

jaysym what software are you thinking of? are these updates? Can't see how this can happen..

The new palladium chip has been given tools to check things out but still, I can't see how it would introduce software to slow down the system.

Chris

Elrond 12:18 31 Mar 03

from what i've heard they only check software through auto updates or when you choose to do updates. Other than that they can't get info from your PC as long as you've got a decent firewall in place.

medicine hat 12:18 31 Mar 03

Microsoft designed Windows 3.1 so that it would not work on top of DR-DOS. It does not seem implausible to me that they could implement something in XP that would affect the way it operated if it found illegal software.

Pesala 12:30 31 Mar 03

This is what it says there:

"You acknowledge and agree that Microsoft may automatically check the version of the Product and/or its components that you are utilizing and may provide upgrades or fixes to the Product that will be automatically downloaded to your Workstation Computer."

This passage says, in essence, that Microsoft has the right to examine your computer's hard drive and download software onto your computer automatically, without your knowledge or explicit consent.

click here to visit the Boycott Microsoft Page

Microsoft has for years been modifying (upgrading?) its software so that it slows down your computer, only we haven't noticed because our PCs have got so much faster. As Flecc has found, if one strips out all the bloat, the software runs a lot faster.

I doubt whether they could legally download software to your PC to slow it down. That would surely be illegal.

spikeychris 12:54 31 Mar 03

"Microsoft has for years been modifying (upgrading?) its software so that it slows down your computer, only we haven't noticed because our PCs have got so much faster". With all the third party software that Windows has to run M$ have had to design routes for data to travel.

I agree that if you strip it down to bare bones it runs better but that was not the question..

Regards

Chris

HuskyDoc 16:45 31 Mar 03

I have always understood that MS is prevented by US and international law from any snooping. I suggest that if they put anything in or take anything out including knowledge of your system and setup, that would constitute "Hacking" and would really bring the hammer down. Maybe someone with a legal background can enlighten us?
HuskyDoc

Djohn 17:17 31 Mar 03

I don't think that M/S will bother to check, via the internet, anything that is on your PC, as this will be an almost impossible task due to the vast amount of accounts involved.

What I can confirm, is that M/S can and will check any of their software that you attempt to load onto a WinXP operation system, and if it detects this as a illegal copy, then it will not allow the installation to continue.

This does not of course apply, if your copy of Win XP is an illegal copy to start with.

The reason I know of this is because quite recently, I inadvertently tried to install an illegal copy of Office 2000 on to my new XP Pro. system, it recognised the illegal copy and refused to install, with the message, " install files not found, or corrupt".

I saved my money for a long time to buy Office 2000, and was under the full impression that I had a legal program with key number, even bought from a well established small local shop. This shop built my first system, and is now no longer in business, and I have no way of taking action.

So please be very careful when you purchase any program/Operating system, and unless it is from one of the large company's that deal with PC's and related software, insist on conformation it is legal.

I had very little time or sympathy for people who sold/bought illegal copies of software in the past, now it is even less. regards to you. J.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…