Windows XP Messenger Service?

techhelp 09:52 10 Sep 03

Have my 2800XP Intel system up and running. The Windows Message ICON says it is not signed in. I take it this is part of the XP software and should be signed in? Also I am getting dialog boxes from Messenger Service and SYSTEM ALERT asking me to visit several sites such as: click here, broadcastblocker, defeatmessenger, fightmessenger, Messagekiller etc. Is anyone familiar with these websites, can I stop these popups? Are these genuine warnings and should be actioned?

Jester2K II 09:53 10 Sep 03

Spam

Prevent them by using Stop Windows Messenger Spam - Free click here

Jester2K II 09:58 10 Sep 03

broadcastblocker, defeatmessenger, fightmessenger, Messagekiller etc all want you to pay to stop their spam and others. Why pay?

AragornUK 11:27 10 Sep 03

You can also get a program for click here (GRC . com) - you know, the guy who did Shields Up!!

Go to his site and download a small program called Shoot The Messenger and run it. This will shut down the Windows Messenger Service.

The Messenger Service is different to the Windows Messenger, and has caused confusion - typical Microsoft ;o) The Messenger Service is (I believe) mostly a left over from the early days of networking when PCs were first linked up and you needed to send a message to another PC on the network. I suppose part of it it later developed into MSN Messenger as we see now.

If you've ever seen a popup message on a network that 'Computer ABC Is Printing To Printer XYZ on LPT1' when you have a shared printer, it's the same thing. The new breed of spammers are using the open Windows Port for this service to spam us with "buy our service and stop this" messages. Easy to shut down, but annoying when it keeps happening

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…