Windows XP & Mcafee Firewall clash

Onthemove 18:54 25 Sep 03

After making a number of Microsoft updates I lost the ability to access the internet by any service (DSL via router, Direct DSL connection & PSTN Modem).

Taving a look around Network connections I discovered that the Firewall oprion on one of my network connections ghad been turned on (Not an action I recall doing).

I have discovered through turning firewall options McAfee and Microsoft ON and OFF I have discovered that I can only connect if I turn off Mcafee firewall filtering and Turn on the Microsoft Firewall.

I am not happy with this situation.

Any suggestions?

bof:) 19:53 25 Sep 03

have you looked on the McAfee site to see if there is any mention of this in their FAQ's?

did you set a restore point before you downloaded the microsoft updates?

If so can you go back to it and reinstall the updates 1 at a time until you find the critter responsible for your current problem.

If so have a look on the microsoft site to see if there is a fix.

Mike

phono 22:48 26 Sep 03

Have you configured McAfee FW to allow networking? Set up your home network in the advanced tasks part of configuration.

I have a home network with McAfee FW, XP Home + SP1 and everything is working okay.

Joanne_1 22:55 26 Sep 03

Routers have their own NAT which is an internal hardware firewall so you can do away with the software one, ie McAfee.
If your router is configured correctly then all neccessary ports on the internet are stealth.

phono 23:36 26 Sep 03

Joanne_1 is quite correct, I really must learn to read entire postings before putting my size 11s in it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…