Windows XP Locked Out by New Password Requirement

Itchy Fingers 14:44 01 Feb 05

I am using Windows XP Home. I never have a password on my system and only one account. Last week I did a Nortons Live Update that included a patch for Ghost V9. This caused Ghost to stop working. A few days later I ran Live update again and again a patch for Ghost was included (but judging by its download time it was of a smaller content. This may be a complete red herring but the next time I turned the PC on I was confronted by a new (standard MSP requests for an account password. I tried all my standard passwords but none worked. I tried changing the user name to Administrator and again a few passwords but this din't work either. I can go in under safe mode, but only as an Administrator, but I really think this is a Guest account as I can't change anything. Any Ideas before I reformat and reinstall?

Diodorus Siculus 15:17 01 Feb 05

Forgot the Administrator's Password?
click here

Any help?

SEASHANTY 15:51 01 Feb 05

Also single use on XP. Guest account disabled. When I switch on the PC, XP also asks me for a password. I have never selected any password but it still requests one each time I switch on the PC. I just leave the "password" field blank and click on "OK" and Windows XP then starts up every time.

Itchy Fingers 19:22 12 Feb 05

I looked at the options and descided to reinstall. Yes their is a web site that says that it can unlock, but I didn't know how safe it was. As I understood it you down loaded a file, that collected the data which was forwarded on to a central site that inturn sent back the Password. I didn't know if the data collected was just my XP Password or whether it also included my banking data - to risky for me.

I have now set a rescue floppy that is already part of Windows XP password management system.

I never learnt why the problem occured in the first place, so it could happen again. Thanks for your suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…