Windows XP licence check after update

henza_mapenza 14:21 13 Sep 03

This morning i have downloaded some updates from Microsoft for windows XP SP1. most of them got on fine but when i installed a update, it asked me to restart my computer so i did. Upon restarting it only reached the Welcome bit and after that it should have loaded my desktop but it didn't. Instead a message said "A problem is preventing windows from accurately checking the licence for this computer. Error code: 0x80004005. It unabled me to load into windows so i ran system recovery. It fixed the problem. The thing i want to know is, is this a rare or common problem. Are there any updates that cause the computer to respond like this and how will i know which ones do this. I thought that all microsoft windows updates were perfectly safe to install into the computer but after this update i don't know whether is should install any more. I'm afraid that it might permanently damage my PC. Any help?

powerless 14:29 13 Sep 03

I doubt it is a hardware problem.

More likely to be a software probelm as in the update excited a few files causing the message to appear...

I would not worry about it.

"I thought that all microsoft windows updates were perfectly safe to install into the computer but after this update i don't know whether is should install any more."

They are safe but as you have come to know one update caused you to post this message. Milllions of other people update without hassle.

If you read very carefully what MS have to say about the updates. The trick is to find out if you really need a particuliar update. Then update or ignore the update.

"I'm afraid that it might permanently damage my PC. Any help?"

No you will not permanently do anything...Just carry on as normal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…