Windows XP keeps on restarting.

robit 19:50 12 Sep 06

Can someone help with this problem I have. Recently my pc gets to the Windows XP screen and then after a couple of seconds later it shuts down and restarts itself and then it asks if I want to start at the last known config etc, which after trying it still carries on restarting itself. The only way I've found to get to a normal startup is to use SafeMode and do a restart from there. One thing I,ve noticed is just before the Windows XP screen I see a White bar flash up at the bottom of the screen for a split second. I have not changed any hardware or added any software recently so I don't think that could be the problem. I have tried a system restore but that did not help and ran chkdsk with no problems. All the fans are working ok so its not a overheating problem. Any ideas someone.

Graham. 19:56 12 Sep 06

Try booting with the XP CD in the drive, select Repair.

VoG II 19:57 12 Sep 06

Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under Startup & Recovery, click Settings. Under System Failure, untick the box in front of Automatically restart.

You may now get an error message instead of a reboot which may help track down the cause.

skidzy 19:57 12 Sep 06

Once you have your normal startup,maybe trying system file checker. sfc /scannow click here

robit 13:33 13 Sep 06

I don't really want to try repair just yet, without going down some other avenues first. Running sfc /scannow sounds like a good idea to try first and see what happens. I have already unticked Automatically restart.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…